The Cayman Registry, a division of Cayman Maritime, was established in 1903 and today the Register covers the full spectrum of vessel types, including commercial ships and private pleasure yachts. The Registry maintains headquarters in the Cayman Islands and a European Regional Office in Southampton, UK, with global representation in the USA, UK, Italy, France, Netherlands, Monaco, Greece, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan.
We are now seeking to employ a Principal Surveyor based in our George Town office, Cayman Islands. Reporting directly to the Global Director Safety & Compliance (GS&C) and as part of a dynamic team the post holder will actively participate in the day-to-day technical functions of a busy office of a Maritime Administration including responding promptly to clients and ensuring the effective Implementation of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and International Labour Organisation (ILO) Conventions and Instruments.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
The post holder reports to the Global Director Safety & Compliance (GS&C) of the Maritime Authority of the Cayman Islands (MACI) and in addition to assisting with the management of technical activities will be required to carry out surveys and audits on new and existing yachts, passenger and cargo ships and provide a number of specific local functions.
The job functions include but are not limited to;
- Ensure that the policies and procedures of safety & compliance are implemented consistently.
- Ensure that the Authorities targets for domestic port state control under the Caribbean MOU are achieved.
- Provide interpretations of statutory requirements to staff and clients.
- Monitor surveys and other duties performed by classification societies on behalf of the Government of the Cayman Islands.
- Ensure the appropriate minimum standards are maintained consistently across the spectrum of clients and vessels, and take the appropriate actions should any inconsistencies be noted.
- Prepare reports of surveys and audits conducted, recommended actions and repairs, or conditions remedied, and communicate this information to the company representative.
- Undertake audits of companies and ships in accordance with the ISM & ISPS Codes, and issue related certification.
- Conduct PSC inspections in accordance with national and international requirements.
- Issue statutory certification and monitor certificates issued on behalf of the Cayman Islands Shipping Registry by recognised authorities.
- Undertake plan approval work on new builds and existing vessels within the post holder’s field of competence.
- Assist other Government agencies with the investigation into marine accidents, and marine pollution incidents within the territorial waters of the Cayman Islands.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
To perform this job effectively the post holder must have a proven track record in a similar senior position and satisfy the following minimum requirements
- University Degree in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture or a related subject and at least four (4) years post graduate experience;
- Applicants with the relevant survey experience together with a Class 1 Certificate of Competency Deck or Engine may also be considered;
- Experience as a Marine Surveyor either with an IACS Classification Society or a Recognised Maritime Administration is essential for this position;
- The applicant must be registered with the Engineering Council as a Chartered Engineer and Member of a Recognised Professional Body;
In addition, the post holder must have:
- Sound knowledge of the design, construction and operation of ships and yachts;
- A knowledge of the interrelationship of National Administrations & Classification Societies and the functions of Port State Control MoU’s, , the IMO, and other Regulatory Bodies;
- A thorough knowledge of Classification Society Rules and Regulations for the Classification of ships;
- A thorough knowledge of International Conventions as they relate to the Marine Sector including but not limited to those from the IMO/ILO including the relevant Codes & Instruments;
- Sound language, analytical, presentation and IT skills;
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; and
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Only applicants eligible to work in the Cayman Islands will be considered.
Cayman Maritime offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Salary: CI$93,720 – CI$104,400 per annum
Forward a completed Cayman Maritime Application Form, available from: www.cishipping.com together with a Cover Letter and detailed Resume to:
Email: Human Resources
or mailing address:
Maritime Authority of the Cayman Islands
PO Box 2256
Grand Cayman KY1-1107, CAYMAN ISLANDS
Tel: (345) 949-8831 Fax: (345) 949-8849
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.